A Journey of Mine and Some Tips
Hopefully you are all having a great start to the week!
For this week’s installation of our new Mueller Sports Medicine Vlog Series, I’m sharing a past fitness journey, as well as providing some tips that I learned along the way. Hopefully you’ll find this to be a positive influence in your own journey.
"I need to make a change for the better"
Back in 2015 when I was just a freshman in college, I looked myself in the mirror one day and wasn't happy with the way I felt or the way I looked. Internally, I felt really lazy, lethargic, and bogged down from long days of classes. This lifestyle wasn't cutting it and I wanted to make a change for the better. That one moment started a weight loss journey for myself, going from 220 pounds to 160 pounds, and was one of the best decisions I’ve made. I’ll share more about this in the video.
How I Got To Where I Am Today
When I was first researching ways to lose weight, it was all coming back to one thing: nutrition. Nutrition for me growing up was non-existent, I didn't eat very well and certainly didn’t keep track of my meals. It was safe to say that after doing research and consulting with my physician, I needed to really focus on my diet in order to lose some weight.
Here are some things that I started to implement:
- Ate more fiber rich foods, such as veggies. This kept me full for a longer period of time.
- Ate more fruits to increase the level of healthy nutrients I was consuming.
- Ate more lean meat – which is lower in fat, higher in protein.
- Cut out fast food from my life.
- Approached each day separately from the rest, always with a smile and up-beat character.
Tracking My Nutrition
I also started tracking what I was consuming throughout the day, first on a note pad, then on an app called My Fitness Pal. This app provided visibility to how many calories I have taken in each day, as well as where my macros (proteins, carbs, fats) were at.
Discipline and Dedication
Along my way of losing weight, I ran into many obstacles, such as not wanting to keep on my diet and events that occurred during my life that interfered with my goal. I acknowledged it was okay if I get off track for a little bit due to something going on, and made the effort to come back even stronger and more determined. It also helped to remind myself each and every day why I am doing this and the long list of benefits that it could have on my life. There were plenty of distractions along the way, so I made sure to focus on the why behind my goal in order to remain strong and determined.
Some Tips That I Learned Along The Way
Here are some tips that I found very helpful in my journey to lose weight
- Keeping track of my nutrition using an app like My Fitness Pal
- Treating myself to a cheat day once per week
- Implementing cardio, such as HIIT (high-intensity interval training)
- *If you don't know if this would be healthy for you, please consult with a physician first
- Taking progress photos to see the results I was making to increase my motivation
It's amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to it. One saying that I love is "Anything is possible" and it truly is if you work hard and put in effort.
I hope you enjoyed this week’s vlog and blog! Feel free to leave a comment below or direct message us with any questions or comments on...
Have a great week and be on the lookout for another video soon!
*Please consult with a medical professional if you have any medical issues that may be affected by the suggested activities.